Envisics is currently searching for an Optical Designer to participate in the development of design methods specific to holographic head-up displays for automotive applications, in order to deliver uniquely innovative automotive display systems.
We are looking for an optical designer that is up to date with the latest design methods that has evolved in recent years, with improvements in manufacturing, metrology and optimisation, and who has taken a keen interest in the potential directions in which to develop them further. The successful candidate will need to show an ability to discern the applicability of different freeform design methods against a variety of design requirements and will be aware of the crossover potential from non-imaging freeform design techniques which have been adapted in more recent times to imaging applications.
- Required to assume a design role within the optical design team, providing support for the development of freeform optical solutions, in response to the challenges of controlling image distortion, quality and size, in optical systems which actively use windscreen surfaces as reflectors and have constricted cavity spaces. Designing flexibility into an articulated 3D optical system will be necessary in order to adjust the optical paths within the cavity spaces which alter during the greater automotive design process.
- Provide full report coverage of the design process: specification, tolerancing (mechanical / thermal), stray-light analysis, manufacturing plan, metrology plan, general quality planning, sourcing (development and management of supply base), drawing generation, liaison with opto-mechanical and commercial teams.
- Specify optical coatings where required.
- Support specification, DFMEA, FMA, & other quality systems.
- Support root cause & trouble shooting investigations
- Support the design & assembly of prototype parts & fixtures.
- Support development testing & evaluation.
- Expertise in Zemax optical design software, including macro-writing, sensitivity analysis and tolerancing and ideally MATLAB interfacing.
- Ability to demonstrate mathematical (geometry and numerical) skills in a problem-solving approach to 3D layout challenges.
- Proven project delivery track record in an automotive mechanical engineering environment either within a tier one supplier or within an automotive OEM.
- Team player with appreciation for diversity of traits, skills, and approaches.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced startup environment where novel ideas, designs, and methods are constantly being developed and tested.
- Has good interpersonal skills and relates well to a variety of people at all levels.
- Able to build appropriate rapport, actively listening and building constructive relationships.
- Confident in participating in client and supplier meetings, with a diplomatic and methodical approach in resolving issues.
- Practical ‘hands on’ experience.
- Fluent in English.
Preferred skills and experience
- Experience with CATIA CAD systems in an automotive tier one or automotive OEM.
- SolidWorks experience beneficial.
- Experience in leading a team in an automotive environment either within a tier one supplier or within an automotive OEM.
- GD&T experience beneficial.
- Experience with electrical, optical, thermal & NVH systems beneficial.
Envisics is focused on delivering relevant, robust and scalable Holographic and AR technology for the Automotive Industry. Our ultimate mission is to provide a safer, more enhanced driver experience through our holographic technology. We strongly believe that this mission will be accomplished through a strong work ethic, a culture that encourages teamwork, swift innovation, a diligent focus on customer needs and execution to achieve commitments.
Envisics is headquartered in Milton Keynes, England, and also has a team of world class Engineers in Michigan, U.S.A.
This is a great opportunity to join a dedicated and growing team, to find out more please contact: