Envisics is currently searching for a Sr. Mechanical Designer, with a strong understanding of optical systems, to participate in the design and development of innovative automotive head up displays utilising our laser holographic technology.
This role requires cross over skills in both mechanical and optical system design. We need someone that is up to date with the latest design methods that have evolved in recent years with improvements in manufacturing, metrology and optimisation. We are looking for someone that has taken a keen interest in the potential directions in which to develop these methods further. The successful candidate will need to show an ability to design, develop and package complex HUD / PGU solutions in a highly optimised manner, closely collaborating with team members working other engineering disciplines in a fast-paced development environment.
- Required to assume a mechanical design role within the opto-mechanical design team, providing support to the design and development of highly optimised complex HUD / PGU systems, utilising diffractive, transmissive and reflective optical elements.
- Required to be able to innovate with designs, in order to optimise the performance and the packaging of opto-mechanical systems.
- Specify and optimise spherical and aspheric lenses, plane mirrors, polarisers and filters as required in a system.
- Specify optical coatings where required.
- Support specification, DFMEA, FMA, & other quality systems.
- Support root cause & trouble shooting investigations
- Support the design & assembly of prototype parts & fixtures.
- Support development testing & evaluation.
- BS in ME, and/or 7+ years of experience designing automotive packaging solutions (preferred experience with Tier I HUD design)
- Must have cross over skills in mechanical and optical engineering disciplines.
- Experience with CATIA CAD systems in an automotive tier one or automotive OEM.
- Ability to demonstrate mathematical (geometry and numerical) skills in a problem-solving approach to 3D layout challenges.
- Proven project delivery track record in an automotive mechanical engineering environment either within a tier one supplier or within an automotive OEM.
- GD&T experience.
- Working knowledge in Zemax optical design software, (similar packages considered), including macro-writing, sensitivity analysis and tolerancing and ideally MATLAB interfacing.
- Team player with appreciation for diversity of traits, skills, and approaches.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced startup environment where novel ideas, designs, and methods are constantly being developed and tested.
- Has good interpersonal skills and relates well to a variety of people at all levels.
- Able to build appropriate rapport, actively listening and building constructive relationships.
- Confident in participating in client and supplier meetings, with a diplomatic and methodical approach in resolving issues.
- Practical ‘hands on’ experience.
- Fluent in English.
Preferred skills and experience
- Experience with electronics desirable.
- Solidworks experience beneficial.
- Experience in a multi-disciplined team in an automotive environment either within a tier one supplier or within an automotive OEM.
- Experience with thermal design & NVH beneficial.
Envisics is focused on delivering relevant, robust and scalable Holographic and AR technology for the Automotive Industry. Our ultimate mission is to provide a safer, more enhanced driver experience through our holographic technology. We strongly believe that this mission will be accomplished through a strong work ethic, a culture that encourages teamwork, swift innovation, a diligent focus on customer needs and execution to achieve commitments.
Envisics is headquartered in Milton Keynes, England, and also has a team of world class Engineers in Michigan, U.S.A.
This is a great opportunity to join a dedicated and growing team, to find out more please contact: